Monday, November 21, 2011

Wedding Dresses

Holy cow! My last post was September 14th!!! I'm sorry!

So, I bought my wedding dress! It was one of the hardest processes ever!

I tore out pictures from my Brides Magazines and created this Frankenstein picture, with different elements from different dresses so I could show my dress consultants. I had notes of what I wanted the top to look like, what kind of line, how puffy, how much beading, lace, what color sash. I was so ready to go!!

A little more than a month ago, I went to David's Bridal, and talked to Luvia (my consultant) about what I wanted. The first dress she pulled looked almost exactly like my crazy picture, and I got so excited! My excitement vanished once I saw it on. I didn't like it at all. Luvia got another that sorta looked like my picture, but again, it just didn't look good on me. I let Luvia take over and use her wedding-dress-finding magic. The first dress she pulled for me, oh my goodness! Vera Wang! Love! Of course, it wasn't anything like my pictures, but it was beautiful! Mom and grandma got a little teary when I walked out in it. I really thought I found "the one", which we nicknamed "the fern dress".

The following week, we went to Alfred Angelo to try more dresses. This place carries the Disney Princess collection, so I so totally had to try at least one princess dress! I tried on the Cinderella dress because it was big and puffy and ridiculous! After I got my giggles out, it was down to business. I let my consultant, Lilly, pick out dresses after telling her about David's Bridal. After trying on her picks, the fern dress was still #1. The last dress Lilly picked was on a whim. It was a new arrival, completely not like the fern dress, and she was just curious about how it would look on a person. It was amazing! My mom actually started crying when she saw me in it. Other brides-to-be and consultants kept telling me how beautiful I was in it. I was glowing! I thought I found "the one" with the fern dress, but with this on, I wasn't sure anymore.

I went home and make a Pro-Con list and looked at the pictures mom took of me in both dresses. I really LOVED both dresses. They were the same price, so that didn't help. Because they were both so different, style-wise, I couldn't compare the two. The fern dress was soft and romantic and flowy; very "Nicki". The Alfred Angelo dress was not me at all, but I liked that. Modern, with a little sexy-ness.

Two weeks ago, Alfred Angelo called, saying that they were having sale, and if I bought the dress before the end of November, I would save $250! Wow, $250 is a lot! It could pay for so much! I needed to make a decision.

I was so excited to wear the fern dress again. I loved the fern dress. I was telling people about the fern dress. Even knowing that I could save money by picking the other, I still thought that the fern dress was going to be my wedding dress. When I put it back on, however, it just didn't look as nice as I remembered. I didn't like it as much as before. But I had my mind made up that this was going to be my wedding dress. What happened?

Then we went back to Alfred Angelo and re-tried on that dress. And then I realized why I didn't like the fern dress anymore... it was because I loved the Alfred dress. Mom cried again. Grandma didn't come the first time we were here, so this was the first time she saw me in this dress, and she started crying. I'm really, REALLY surprised I didn't cry! I ALWAYS cry! But I couldn't stop smiling and laughing. We bought the dress that day. And the veil and the shoes and the corset thing that sucks in my belly! The whole ride home, I kept saying, "Oh my god. I have a wedding dress.". I have a wedding dress!!

Oh, and because I'm not getting the fern dress, I can show you what it would have looked like...

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Organza-Gown-with-Fern-Embroidery-and-Net-Overlay-VW351062_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Designer-White-by-Vera-Wang

No comments:

Post a Comment