Me covering registers one afternoon.
Me: Hi, did you find everything ok?
Older man: Yes, thank you. Have you read this book?
Me: No, I haven't. But it looks good, so maybe, one of these days, when I have time, I'll have a chance to read it.
Him: Well, I'm retired, so I have a lot of time on my hands. But I still have a job to do each day.
Me: Oh really.
Him: Yes, it's to make one person smile each day. Here's a joke. There are two muffins in the oven. One muffin says to the other "Wow, it's hot in here.". The other muffin replies, "Whoa! A talking mufin!".
(I giggle and smile)
Him: Well, it looks like my job for today is complete.
Oh goodness. Thank you old man for being silly.
I'm going to be more thankful for the services quick-serve food people provide and try to give them tips more often. When I'm working in the Borders Cafe, it makes me really happy when people put change in the tip jar for me. Even if it's just a couple cents, I still get a jolly feeling inside. Sometimes making drinks is hard, especially if you have a lot to make and there are a lot of customers all at once. Getting a little extra sometime is nice. I never realized how much satisfactions and joy can come from receiving tips, even if it's just a bunch of nickles and dimes! From now on, when I go to places like Ben & Jerry's or Starbucks, I'm going to try to pay in cash and drop my change in their tip jar.
I was at the register again one afternoon and finished ringing up an elderly woman. I gave her her book, and she asked it I could put it in a bag. I hate it when people get one book or one magazine and ask for a bag. It just seems really wasteful. So whenever someone asks for a bag for their one item, I kinda get a little mean. I think this woman sensed my change in attitude because she started telling me why she needed a bag. You see, she needed a bag because she needed something to carry her book in while she walked back to Perkins restaurant and wait for the ElderCare bus to pick her up and bring her back to the retirement home. She needed to ride the bus to the home because she doesn't have a car or home of her own because they were repossessed, along with everything else she owned. Everything was repossessed because her husband died and left her bankrupt. Her husband was driven to bankruptcy because he had a gambling addiction that she didn't know about. Man, I am thinkful for over-sharing customers like this who share too much information with complete strangers, because without them, my life would be pretty boring.
Borders Corporate is ridiculous. This month, everyone, company-wide, got a list of questions to ask customers when they're checking out. Here are the questions I have to ask each and every customer:
1. Did you find everything ok?
2. Do you have a Rewards Care? (If they don't have one, I have to ask if they want to sign up for one)
3. Do you want a gift card?
4. Do you need a gift receipt?
5. Would you like to donate a book?
6. Do you want a gift card? (Yes, this is on the list twice!)
In addition to asking these questions, I have to "make a connection" with the customer, do the whole money-exchange payment thing, thank them by name, and ask them to come back soon.
I so totally don't do all of this! I'm a rebel. I don't ask if they want a gift card. If they wanted a gift card, then they would have gotten one. If they want a gift receipt, they usually tell me when they get to me. I always ask about the donations because charity is good. I try to put myself in the customer's shoes, and if I were burdened with all these questions, I would get a little annoyed. And I think I've mentioned it before, but I think it's creepy when people say my name when I'm shopping.
Even answering the phone, I'm supposed to say something like, "Happy Holidays. Thanks for calling Borders Books Music and Cafe, home of the in-stock guarantee. This is Nicole, how may I help you?" I am never going to say this. So, thank you Borders Corporate for being absolute ridiculous.
I had a mad case of hiccups the other day, and they weren't going away. Customers were laughing at/with me as I'm trying to control my hiccups long enough to answer their questions and show them where books are. I was helping one man, and after walking him to where his book was, I turned and started walking back to the info desk. As I'm walking through the store, this guy creeps up behind me and screamed! OMG! He completely scared me to the point where I jumped and shrieked! I turned around with this horrified look on my face and he's laughing. He asked if he scared my hiccups out of me. So thank you crazy customer, for getting rid of my hiccups.
Doggies at work today!! From today until Christmas Eve, "Animal People" is going to be providing free gift wrapping for customers in the hopes of getting donations for their services. "Animal People" is a small Gainesville organization that rescues dogs, cats, and other pets and tries to find homes for them. I was told that they've been working with us for the past couple years. Today, the "Animal People" lady (I think her name is Judy) brought 5 animals!!
- Tanner! 5-year old Golden Retriever! He was so good! No leash, just chilled out under the table and rolled over so customers could rub his belly.
- Ellie! A white German Sheppard! The woman told me that years and years ago, white German Sheppards would be killed because they weren't normal. Because of this, there are so few white ones around. She had to be tied to the table because she wanted to explore.
- Furball. 17-year old Pomeranian! What!! She's going to be 18 in January! She looked so frail and decrepit. She had no teeth and was nearly blind. Her original owners wanted to put her down 3 years old because they felt that she was too old. "Animal People" rescued Furball and are going to make sure she dies peacefully when she's ready to.
-Kaluha the chihuahua.
- I forgot his name, but a 1-year old blind black cat. He was abandoned and was living on the streets. He lost one eye in a fight with another animal, and when "Animal People" rescued him, his other eye was badly infected. But he's all patched up and so sweet. Just a big black blob when you hold him.
These animals were rescued and now live with Judy. They aren't up for adoption, but Judy wanted to bring them in to Borders to show people how sweet, mellow, and safe rescue pets are. Judy told me that Tanner is going to come everyday! Hooray! Thank you Borders for letting "Animal People" come to the store to wrap presents! Tanner and Ellie are way cooler than some lame Girl Scout Troop or a high school National Honor Society!
Now that it's the holiday season you should ALWAYS ask if the customer wants a gift receipt. Trust me. They will not tell you until after the fact because often (for some reason unbeknownst to me) they assume that they will automatically get a gift receipt. It's SUCH a pain to go back and void the transaction and print a gift receipt, so even if it seems like too many questions, ask that one!
ReplyDeleteAlso, good stories Nick! MISS YOU.
I ALWAYS forget to ask for a gift reciept!!! For your sanity and theirs, I suggest asking if they want one!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I resent the 'lame girl scout troop' remark. :-P