Friday, July 16, 2010

Borders Sagas - The Final Installment

When I gave my two week notice, managers told me that before I go, I have to be ready to train someone in Corporate Orders. When I was being trained how to do Corportate, I was so confused and it was horrible. The person I took over for left the next day, so I couldn't go to her for questions, and she left without writing anything down, so I had nowhere to look for answers. I totally didn't want to do this to the new person, so I started writing something like a manual. Managers hired a 50-year old woman who didn't know how to use a computer, who never worked retail before so the cash register was completely foreign to her, and who couldn't remember stuff from a couple minutes ago. I was so happy I wrote that manual. I trained her for 3 days and there were moments when I would get so frustrated because she wasn't getting it. The manual was such a big help because when she would ask me a question, I would show her where in the manual she could find the answer.

I think I was so snippy with Debbie (the new Corporate hire) because I wanted to be on the floor with all the cool kids. I wanted to be out there at the info desk joking around and talking. I definately didn't want to spend my last days in the back office teaching someone how to use Excel.

My last day of work was sad. The whole day, I remember saying stupid things like, "This will be the last time I shelve books in Biography", "This will be the last vanilla latte I'll have to make", and "This will be the last time I have to deal with a mean customer who can't open their eyes and see that The Help is still in hardcover and will cost them $25.". All my co-workers and managers kept saying really nice things like how they were going to miss me and how the store won't be so sunshiny anymore, and that made me really sad! They also joked around saying how they can finally hire a new person who will actually do work! Everyone knew I had a tendency to be a little lazy!

I took down my staff picks. That made me sad.

When my shift ended, I had to clean out my locker, and I found all the silly stuff I forgot I had in there, like...

1. MASH things done with Denetra
2. Dr. Seuss stickers from kids parties
3. Those folder paper fortune tellers (you know those things where you pick a color and then spell out that color while opening and closing the paper. God, how do you describe that thing!)
4. Business cards customers have given me that I kept because they made me laugh (ones from a hairstylist, police detectives, tanning salon, and a church)
5. Junk mail publishers send me because I'm on their mailing lists because I have to order books from them. Usually the junk mail is for medical professional conventions and conferences in Vegas.

I got a little misty-eyed when I clocked out for the last time. Thankfully, I didn't cry while in the store. That would be embarrassing. I was able to hold it all in until I was safely in my car. This was the first time I ever cried leaving a job. I was sad about leaving these people who became my friends. In one short year, I went from being the ignored new girl, to someone they invited to movie nights and indie nights and birthday parties and weddings.

I was a little mopey when I got home, but I knew I was going to have so much fun later in the night because of the BOWLING PARTY!

No comments:

Post a Comment